Search This Blog

Sunday 14 January 2018

Part 1-The early years

Your SEO optimized title
My name is Gary , I was diagnosed with Relapsing Remitting Multiple Sclerosis (MS) in 2002. My (MS) has progressed to Secondary (MS) now but l continue to be positive.

This is the journey (MS) has taken me on over the past 19 years, places I have travelled to, some by myself, different sports I have tried, treatments I have done, exercises I do to get stronger or maintain my (MS).


My parents took me to hospital in 1998 due to me showing signs of a stroke, my tongue was slanting to the right which was causing my speech to be slurred, I had double vision and my energy was very low. I had the usual tests carried out, I had a lumbar puncture, MRI, head scan and blood tests. I was given a dose of intravenous steroids which gave me my strength back, it made me feel like Popeye!

I did not do too much whilst I was on these steroids, at the time a Nurse did mention to me I could have MS. I was learning about computers as I wanted to work in this area, I really hoped that this would not affect my ambition, at the time I did not let it.

I had a follow up appointment with my Neurologist in 2000, he did some simple tests. He said that due to the way I had recovered he did not think it was multiple Sclerosis, but if I have another Relapse it will be confirmed. He also noticed my eye movements were slower than they should have been. He looked surprised at the time, he said I may have Myotonia Congenita so he confirmed this by getting me to clench my Fist, when I tried to open my fist it was very slow to open, this confirmed his suspicions.

Myotonia congenita is a Congenital Neuromuscular disorder that affects skeletal muscles. The symptoms include, delayed relaxation of the muscles after voluntary contraction and may also include stiffness and cramping.

So I decided to join a local Gym, I also ran round the block every other day to get my strength back. I found good exercise for me to do was the Cross Trainer, I spent 40 minutes or more doing this, this worked my Core and Hip flexors which was great as this was a weak area since my relapse.

I went to the Gym most days to get my strength back, I did not have much strength in the first place so I figured it would not take much effort to get it back! I started to regain my strength over the next few weeks, this is when I realised that I needed to have a positive outlook on life and do the exercises most days.

I felt all weak and I had double vision in the Summer of 2002. A few weeks later I had an appointment with my Neurologist where it was confirmed as (MS). I was given a dose of oral Steroids, I felt very low at the time but I thought to myself I must fight this (MS) and stay strong, be positive.

Looking back when I was a teenager, I went on a school trip round Europe, visited some interesting places, Berlin Wall, St Basil Cathedral in Red Square Moscow and went to the Artic Circle. I was given the name of clumpy, I was very clumsy, often tripping over things, I even slipped on a Banana skin! I can see why they called me clumpy, this was the early signs of Multiple Sclerosis.

I started my exercises again once I had finished the dose of steroids, going to the gym most days, did the usual running around the block, using the cross trainer and weights at
the Gym.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I had a great time at Revitalise Southampton

Nothing really changes for me if I can stay away from chest infections, I can stay pretty healthy. It was my first day back at the Gym...